In any case, after that time, the city became part of the Kingdom of Hungary.
Among other institutions, it hosts the country's largest university, Babeș-Bolyai University, with its famous botanical garden; nationally renowned cultural institutions; as well as the largest Romanian-owned commercial bank.
On the site of the city was a pre-Roman settlement named Napoca.
After the AD 106 Roman conquest of the area, the place was known as Municipium Aelium Hadrianum Napoca.
Possible etymologies for Napoca or Napuca include the names of some Dacian tribes such as the Naparis or Napaei, the Greek term napos (νάπος), meaning "timbered valley" or the Indo-European root *snā-p- (Pokorny 971-2), "to flow, to swim, damp".
The Hungarian form Kolozsvár, first recorded in 1246 as Kulusuar, underwent various phonetic changes over the years (uar/vár means "castle" in Hungarian); the variant Koloswar first appears in a document from 1332.
The Roman Empire conquered Dacia in AD 101 and 106, during the rule of Trajan, and the Roman settlement Napoca, established thereafter, is first recorded on a milestone discovered in 1758 in the vicinity of the city.
the city gained the status of a colonia as Colonia Aurelia Napoca.
Napoca became a provincial capital of Dacia Porolissensis and thus the seat of a procurator. At the beginning of the Middle Ages, two groups of buildings existed on the current site of the city: the wooden fortress at Cluj-Mănăștur (Kolozsmonostor) and the civilian settlement developed around the current Piața Muzeului (Museum Place) in the city centre.
after the national capital Bucharest, and the seat of Cluj County in the northwestern part of the country.