At the time, doctors could only recommend rest in dry, warm climates. In 1928, the city founded San Angelo College, one of the region's first institutes of higher education.
The city had been passed over by the Texas State Legislature to be the home of what would become Texas Tech University.
San Angelo College, one of the first municipal colleges, has grown to become Angelo State University.
Its location is in the Concho Valley, a region of West Texas between the Permian Basin to the northwest, Chihuahuan Desert to the southwest, Osage Plains to the northeast, and Central Texas to the southeast.
According to a 2014 Census estimate, San Angelo has a total population of 100,450.
San Angelo is home to Angelo State University, historic Fort Concho, and Goodfellow Air Force Base.
Common nicknames of the city include Angelo, the River City, the Concho City, the Pearl of the Conchos, and the Oasis of West Texas.
Prior to the arrival of Europeans, San Angelo was the center of the Jumano people.
As of 1600, the area had been inhabited for over a thousand years by succeeding cultures of indigenous peoples.In 1632, a short-lived mission of Franciscans under Spanish auspices was founded in the area to serve the Indians.During the colonization of the region, San Angelo was at the western edge of the region called Texas, successively claimed in the 1800s by the nations of Spain, Mexico, the Republic of Texas, and finally the United States, in 1846.The current city of San Angelo was founded in 1867, when the United States built Fort Concho, one of a series of new forts designed to protect the frontier.The fort was home to cavalry, infantry, and the famous Black Cavalry, also known as Buffalo Soldiers by Indigenous Americans. De Witt founded the village of Santa Angela outside the fort at the junction of the North and South Concho Rivers.He named the village after his wife, Carolina Angela. The name would change again to San Angelo in 1883 on the insistence of the United States Postal Service, as San Angela was grammatically incorrect in Spanish.